Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, July 12, 2003

Just picked up Star Trek Nemesis on DVD. Ya know, when I saw that film, I thought it to be a colossal let-down. It was just the best of the previous movies recycled into one. As the Barenaked Ladies sang, "It's all been done." Nemesis came out in Japan in mid-April, so I saw it within weeks of seeing X2. Right there is a great comparison. I just felt more at the death of Jean Grey than I did at the death of Data. It's strange how the hands of certain filmmakers made me care more about a character I had only known for two movies rather, and yet certain filmmakers can also make me feel completely indifferent towards a character I had loved and known for 15 years.

But anyway, today's rant is the new trend towards flavoured beverages. It started a year ago, shortly before I left for Japan. Cherry Pepsi, Lemon Pepsi, and Code Red Mountain Dew had been introduced. Now that I'm back, we've got: Cherry Pepsi, Lemon Pepsi, Cherry Coke, Vanilla Coke, Tropical Fruit 7-Up, Mint Sprite, and Mountain Dew in green, red, and blue. You know, people, you can't improve on imperfection. Pepsi, Coke, 7-Up, Sprite and Mountain Dew all suck. You can't make them better by adding MORE chemicals. Give it up. I tend to try one out of curiousity and then go, "Yup. It sucks," and go back to Dr. Pepper.

(Although, I really miss the wide variety of iced teas I enjoyed in Japan. I'd kill for a nice cold cup of milk tea right about now.)

So, to the cola companies: stop it, OK? We don't need 4 kinds of Pepsi, 6 kinds of Coke, and, least of all, 27 kinds of Mountain Dew.

In a completely unreleated story, I added some Enterprise action figures to my collection today. I got Hoshi Sato and T'Pol. When all else fails, go for the hot chicks.

Next issue...The Needs of the Many

No comments: