Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, October 13, 2003

Watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture again. Can I let you in on a little secret? It is my dream to someday make an entrance like Spock's. You know, that kind of entrance where things are looking dire for your friends, and you're the last person they expect to see, but as soon as they see you come in, there's that look of joy and relief on all those faces as they suddenly know everything will be all right. And why? Because you've come. Does that make sense? It's kind of tough to articulate. Go watch The Motion Picture again. Fast forward to Spock's entrance. You'll get it.

And woo hoo! The long-awaited 2-disc special edition of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier comes out tomorrow. Boy, I want to get that one. I really want to see the Rock Monster footage. I think I've blogged about this before. See, in the original ending, Capt. Kirk was going to do battle with these Rock Monsters on Sha Ka Ree. Well, they built one animatronic rock monster, shot some test footage, and then abandoned the idea because the rock monster just looked terrible; incredibly fake and phoney. And they put that test footage on the DVD!

Yeah, it's pretty much acknowledged that Final Frontier has the worst effects in the franchise. Some DVD reviews I've already read say that the computer animated Enterprise in the DVD's menus is better looking than the original Enterprise in the film's effects!

Speaking of 2-disc special edition DVDs from Paramount, I read a little DVD news from them today. As most probably know, Paramount at long last is releasing the Indiana Jones movies to DVD next week. At their big launch party, Paramount made a few announcements as to what's coming out in 2-disc special editions in 2004. Of course, the big boxed set The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles: The Complete Series was a given, but thy also announced that work is underway on 2-disc special editions of such recent hits as Top Gun, The Untouchables, Titanic and...are you ready for it? Deep breath. A 2-disc special edition of South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. Did you hear me right? A 2-disc, super special edition of the South Park movie! That was always high on my 2-disc special edition wish list, and I never dreamt that it would happen. But it is, and it'll be coming out next year sometime.

Let me just say that again: A 2-disc, super special edition of South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut is being made. I am a very happy worm tonight.

Next Issue...The Final Frontier Concerns Women's Undergarments

No comments: