Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, February 08, 2004

What happened to my presence? Did I ever have it? Mr. Anderson says that a good DJ should have presence, like all good entertainers. But, he says that when he listened to my show back on Wednesday, presence was lacking. So now I'm wondering, did I ever have it?

I always flashback to an observation Mr. Anderson made when I was in university. He joined me for dinner in the cafeteria one night, and we sat with my "on campus friends." He said that, although I didn't speak much, when I did speak, I spoke a little louder than I normally do, and commanded the attention of the whole table. That's presence, right?

I think I had it in Japan; when I'd walk into my classroom, and the hushed silence would fall upon the class and all eyes were on me. That's presence, right? But then, it was easier to have presence when a strapping white pseudo-farm-boy like myself enters a room of bored, lonely Japanese housewives.

So how can I get my presence back?

Subject change.

Caught a bit of Batman Returns tonight. You know they're making a new Batman film, right? They're ignoring the last spate of Batfilms and taking it back to the beginning. This film is going to be a whole origin story thing, heavily influenced by Batman: Year One. We're going to SEE Bruce Wayne on his infamous world tour, training to be the Bat. We're going to SEE Bruce Wayne, in the cave, hunched over a grindstone, making the first batarangs. We're going to SEE an experimental, prototype vehicle being tested at Wayne Enterprises which is mysteriously stolen, only to reappear as the Batmobile. I'm really starting to look forward to this.

Christian Bale is Batman/Bruce Wayne. Christopher Nolan (Memento, Insomnia) is directing. David S. Goyer (the Blade films) is writing. Filming begins in April. Batman: Intimidation Game will come out Summer 2005.

Next Issue...JLA Returns

No comments: