Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, May 23, 2004

OK, let's get to it. Firstly, this week's column is up. This week's offering is Mortality:

"And now, at 6 o’clock this morning, things took an even more tragic turn. I was awakened to the sound of dog yelping in pain. She was sleeping right outside my door, as she always does. She was lying on the ground with her hind legs in an unnatural position, and despite all her efforts, she just couldn’t stand up. After watching her struggle for 20 minutes, I finally helped her up and up the stairs. It’s now 2 in the afternoon, and she’s more like her old self, but we can’t help but wonder what happened this morning. Mom speculates that the dog had a seizure.

Talk of putting her to sleep has turned serious. "

Click here. Read it all.

And, I have to share something odd I noticed watching Jurassic Park. I'm sure I've told the story many times by now. Steven Spielberg was in such a rush to go start making Schindler's List that he asked his good buddy George Lucas to oversee the post-production of Jurassic Park. The experience made Lucas fall back in love with directing and that led him to start work on the Star Wars prequels.

Now, because we've watched George's running commentaries on Episodes I and II, we know that he likes to end his films - usually the last 2 minutes of a film - with no dialogue. Just music and the images.

Now, I was watching Jurassic Park last night, and I finally noticed that the end of the film - the last 2 minutes - has no dialogue! Just music and the images!

I submit for your approval that Jurassic Park's ending is a direct result of George Lucas's influence in the editing room!

Next Issue...Conspiracy Theorist

No comments: