Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, September 12, 2004

So, I finally watched Jersey Girl. Yes, I bought the DVD as soon as it came out back on Tuesday, but I finally got a chance to watch it tonight. And you know what?

It's actually pretty good.

Granted, it's not revolutionary filmmaking. It's a variation on a story you've seen about 10 times before: single father struggling to balance between family and job. But, Kevin Smith's trademark dialogue is in tact, and it really helps make the film sing.

Oh, and let me just say that it looks absolutly amazing for a Kevin Smith film! I mean, it's the first one that actually looks like a movie. And the cameos! Yes, I knew about the Jason Lee and Matt Damon cameos, but I didn't know about Will Smith.

So, final verdict. It's not Kevin Smith's best film. That honour still goes to Chasing Amy. But, it's not as bad as all the negative "Bennifer" hype led you to believe.

Now, if I could just find a copy of Clerks X. None of my usual DVD haunts have it!

And I also finally picked up the graphic novel JLA: Secret Origins by Paul Dini and Alex Ross. That is just a total geek-out comic. Firstly, it's about twice the physical size of a comic book. A regular is what, 8.5"x11"? So that would mean this is about 17"x22". And, the entire book is nothing by 2 page spreads, and in each spread, the origin of a different DC Universe heavy hitter is detailed: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow and so on. It's just so beautiful. And even my mother likes it!

Next Issue...Going Bald from Stress

No comments: