Just forget the words and sing along

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Managed to catch a bit of Austin Powers in Goldmember on TV tonight. Ya know, watching Goldmember in the theatres had to be one of the most awkward movie-going expriences of my life.

For those who don't know, a good chunk of Austin Powers 3 takes place in Tokyo, and Mike Myers really sticks it to the Japanese in that chunk of the film.

Factor into this the tradition of the polite Japanese audience. They tend not to cheer or yell or laugh during a show, saving only polite applause for the end.

Now, I saw Austin Powers in Goldmember in Japan.

I was the only one in the theatre laughing.

To this day, I don't know if it's because of traditional politeness, or because they really, really didn't like the Japanese jokes.

However, there are some good scenes in the film. Near the beginning, Austin has a run-in with some twin Japanese schoolgirls that was very similar to an incident I had. And by "very similar," I mean, "the only similarity was it involved twins."

No comments: