Just forget the words and sing along

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I'm feeling like I should take a minute to comment on the tragic Star Trek news of the day. Because I have a blog, therefore my opinion is valuable.

As I'm sure you've heard by now, James Doohan, who'll forever be remembered as Scotty, passed away today. He was 85.

Like a lot of other Trekkies, I saw him at a Star Trek convention once. He was a very cool and very dynamic speaker. I learned a lot of things about him in his speech...chief of which was the fact that he was Canadian, and he was one of the many, many brave young soldiers who stormed the beaches of Normandy on D-Day.

After the war he got into acting and worked primarily on CBC radio. That's where he became a master of accents. Yeah, that's one thing that's been glossed over about him. He was actually quite an accomplished voice actor. That came in handy on Star Trek where, in addition to playing Scotty, he also occasionally did the voice of a menacing alien on the comm.

Anyway, there are a lot of better tributes out on the Internet. Go read one.

No comments: