Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, August 25, 2005

I'm just plain ol' depressed. Last night, after Dad and I get home from the sumps, I turn on the TV to the 6 o'clock news. There was a news story about the Edmonton radio station 96X offering a bounty for Brad Pitt.

See, Brad Pitt's coming to Edmonton to film a movie. They're going to be doing quite a bit of location filming at Fort Edmonton Park. 96X is offering the following bounty: $10,000 if you can get Pitt down to their studios for an interview, $20,000 for Pitt and Angelina Jolie, $50,000 for Pitt, Jolie, and Jeniffer Aniston.

Anyway, I'm watching the news story and, as they do in news stories like this, they have footage of a 96X radio announcer in the booth announcing the contest. And the announcer is none other than...the class jerk-off. The fucking little punk I went to school with. I can't understand it. Here's a guy who was usually out for half the week because he was drunk, hung over, and/or got the good stuff from his dealer, and he's now a midday announcer at the #1 radio station in a major market fresh out of school! HOW THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN??

I swore that if this ever happened - one of my classmates becomes an announcer at a major market station before I even have a job - I'd kill myself. Of course, when I swore to that, I gave it a minimum of 5 years before the remote possibility came to light. So now, I'm faced with a dilemma.

On the one hand, I swore I'd kill myself, and my mother taught me to always fulfil my obligations. On the other hand, I want to live.

But seriously, I must live. I know it's just a matter of time before he's fired for showing up drunk, high, or hung over. Job opening!


So, last night I was in Hinton with my father as we were testing sumps. Hinton's kind of weird. It boasts itself as being this tourist destination. But, all the hotels fill up during the week, and empty out on the weekends. Know why?

The oil crews, working out of Hinton for the week, then going home for the weekend.

Anyway, since all the hotels were full up, Dad and I wound up staying at a little bed and breakfast. That was very weird. I'm sure that, if you go to a bed and breakfast with your sweetie, it's all romantic and stuff. When it's just you and your Dad, it's too much like visiting Grandma's house.


You know me. I'm always on the hunt for a new fast food taste. I just love my fast food. And it's been a great year for new fast food tastes. In the wake of Supersize Me, fast food restaurants have been rolling out all kinds of "healthy alternatives" for the past year.

And now I see that Canadian classic A&W has gotten in on the act.

I was having a Teen Burger for lunch when I saw a leaflet advertising A&W's new "healthy alternatives." And, A&W makes a vegetarian burger now! I know Burger King's had a vegeterian burger for ages, and McDonald's rolled one out as part of their "healthy alternatives." I actually tried a McDonald's veggie burger one time, just to taste what it was like. I personally thought that McDonald's veggie burger is the most disgusting sandwich they've ever made.

But A&W has one now. And the A&W veggie burger actaully sounds pretty good. Here's the official description of the "Swiss Veggie Deluxe." (I'm copying this straight out of the leaflet.):

We grill and season a veggie patty made with portobello mushrooms and add a slice of real Swiss cheese. Then we dress it up with crisp iceburg lettuse, a slice of fresh tomato, a slice of onion, pickles and Light Ranch Dressing - all nestled in a toasted wheat bun.

You can always hold the Swiss cheese to further reduce fat content
.

Now that actually sounds pretty good. I think I'll try one next time I'm at A&W.

No comments: