Just forget the words and sing along

Thursday, November 24, 2005

I can't go to stores anymore without feeling sad.

I was browsing through HMV and the whole experience just depressed me. See, back in the day of, o, about three years ago when I was gainfully employed, I loved DVDs. I loved buying DVDs. It was not unusual for me to blow half my paycheque on DVDs. "Ehh, I don't need to buy groceries. If I carefully ration the ramen, it'll last another two weeks." And I'd walk out with whatever the latest special edition was.

But now, with unemployment, I just can't buy as many DVDs as I once did. One every two months if I'm lucky. So I just get very sad when I'm browsing through HMV or Future Shop. So many DVDs I want, but so little money....

I swear, when I get my first radio job, that first paycheque is going to vanish after one afternoon at Future Shop.

Besides, I shouldn't complain too much. This is about the time of year that I stop buying things for myself anyway. Actually, I suggest everyone do this. When the Christmas shopping season comes, just stop buying stuff for yourself. Two reasons why:

1) If you buy yourself all the stuff you want, there'll be nothing left for me to give you for Christmas.
2) If you buy all the stuff you want, you'll have no money left to buy ME a present.

So, I stop buying things for me, that way I have money to buy you stuff, and there's stuff for you to buy me. It's win-win.

But I still love my West Edmonton Mall. I noticed something weird today.

West Edmonton Mall is getting a third sex shop.

Now, you're probably thinking, "How the hell does Mark know West Edmonton Mall has TWO sex shops?"

Easy. WEM's two sex shops are on the short list of "mainstays," that is shops that have existed in the same place ever since I first started hanging out at WEM 20 years ago. It's a very short list, and the two sex shops are on it. And I only went browsing in one of them once, mainly because my curiosity finally got the better of me.

And it's not like I went looking for this third sex shop. It's very easy to spot. It has massive signs out front..."Coming soon, THE HUSTLER STORE!! Canada's first HUSTLER STORE opening soon! Now hiring staff for THE HUSTLER STORE!"

Granted, I'm just assuming it's a sex shop, as I'm assuming it's related to the Hustler publication.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

No comments: