Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, November 28, 2005

Well, here's my cool movie news of the day. It's only cool because it involves Tim Burton, and I just love his films.

Burton is currently in negotiations to direct Ripley's Believe It or Not, a biography of Robert L. Ripley, he who gave us Believe It or Not. The film is about 80% true, as it portrays Ripley as being a bit of an Indiana Jones sort, as he goes on all kinds of adventures around the world, searching for his oddities.

The screenplay was written by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewsy. They were known as "the quirky biography guys" in the 1990s, as they also wrote Ed Wood, The People vs. Larry Flint and Man on the Moon. (Don't forget that Burton also directed Ed Wood).

And Tim Burton's not the only one in negotiations. Jim Carrey is also in talks to play Ripley.

Could be good. You know I'll see it anyway, just cuz I love Tim Burton.


I guess I should take a moment to talk about the Grey Cup, just because, you know, everyone else in Edmonton is talking about it.

Actually, the Grey Cup reminds me of Japan. When I was in Japan, and I'd go out to dinner with the co-workers, I loved breaking the awkward silence with, "So, who do you like in the Grey Cup?" You want to see befuddled looks? Try talking Canadain football with Americans and Japanese.

I think it was in March of 2003...there was an awkward silence, I did my usual "Grey Cup" schtick, and one of my co-workers turned to me and said, "Haven't they played that damn game yet?" I nodded and said, "Yeah. Back in November. Montreal won."

That's another one I'll never forget. At work, we got the Japan Times, Japan's biggest English-language newspaper. The only time I ever saw the CFL covered in the Japan Times' sports section was when Montreal won the Grey Cup. There it was, tiny little article with tiny little headline. "Montreal Wins Grey Cup."

Ahh, memories.

No comments: