Just forget the words and sing along

Friday, December 16, 2005

So, tonight was the first English-language leaders debate in the Federal Election.

I hate to say this, but none of the leaders really impressed me tonight. The only highlight was in the closing comments, when Paul Martin got all empassioned about Canada, turned to Gilles Duceppe and started yelling, "You're not going to break up my country!"

But other than that, nothing. I kinda wish we could have an old-school debate. Just Liberal vs. Conservative. No one else. Cuz let's be honest. Who else is allowed in the federal leaders debate right now? The Bloc. My Dad constantly questions why the Bloc is in there. "They'll never form a government! Why are they there?" is my father's constatn refrain.

Of course, the same argument could be applied to the NDP. Yes, they are a federal party with candidates in every riding, but let's be honest. There'll probably never be a federal NDP government in my lifetime.

So, c'mon. Paul Martin vs. Stephen Harper. One on one. Battle to the death of a political career. THAT'S a debate I want to see.

Oh, and don't forget, there will be another set of debates in this election. they go down on January 9.


Here I am, all Olympic obsessed, yet I'm constantly forgetting that the next Winter Olympics are in February. Has it really been 4 years already?

Anyway, there was an article about it in the Edmonton Journal a few days ago. As it was reported back in the spring, Roots, the original supplier of the Olympic uniforms for Team Canada, lost the contract to the Hudson's Bay Company. It was actually no skin of Roots's nose, as Roots still has the contracts for Team USA and the British Olympic Team.

But, now, the team uniforms have been unveiled, so the Journal sat down with their fashion department and they compared the Bay's Team Canada uniforms to Roots's Team USA uniforms.

The verdict? Roots just fell back on what they've been pumping out for Olympic uniforms since 1998, while the Bay stepped to the plate and actually pumped out some stylish and fucntional athletic clothes.

So, yay Bay! But nice try, Roots.

Acutally, I've walked by Roots in West Edmonton Mall many times but never stopped in. I should stop in next time. From what I've seen on TV, Roots makes nice hats.

No comments: