Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, March 06, 2006

A Day Full of Mixed Feelings

Never in my life had I felt a need to walk into a store that sold musical instruments.

Today, I walked into one.

And I walked out with a $130 microphone.

The goal was simple enough. I downloaded some free software so I can start doing some audio recording, sharpening of my skills, and general goofing around here at home. But, I needed a microphone so I could start recording myself.

What I got is far more high-powered than I ever needed...but, it's about on par as to what you'd find in a radio station.

In a half-hour, after Corner Gas, I'm going to crank it up and see if it'll work for me.


You know what I always found fun about volunteering?

You're pretty much hired if you show up.

That's also what happened to me tonight. I learned that NewCap was accepting volunteers to be part of their street team. In Edmonton, NewCap is this station and this station and even this one. The street team are those folks who go to concerts and other station events, pass out stickers and other trinkets, and do whatever general labour needs to be done.

What can I say? It's volunteer work, so I got hired just by showing up. This'll give me some new radio-related experience to put on my resume. Plus, I've been turned down a lot by NewCap stations, and they always tell me the same thing: "We prefer to promote from within the company." And, from what I gather about NewCap, this is what you have to do to get within the company.

And besides...now I got something to do on weekends.

No comments: