Just forget the words and sing along

Friday, March 10, 2006

Fun and Philosophy with Digital Cameras

There's no better way to have fun with a brand-new digital camera like a day at work!

The future is like a darkend highway...except for today, when it's clear and sunny and the snow-capped Rockies are on the horizon!


Ah, nothing like a day in the most wild and remote parts of Alberta. Sadly, it's not all about the view. I have to get to work!


And this is the name of the game! Oil! These things are messy. And, it's my job to tell them how messy they are and how to clean it up. (Actually, it's my Dad's job. I just assist. I'm the muscle.)


After a hard day of telling the oil companies to clean up their act, I kick back and relax with the finest cola you can get from a vending machine for 55¢.



What gets me the most about digital photography is how the act of taking a picture and the picture itself becomes so...disposable.

For example, here is a picture of a bowl of soup. Clam chowder, to be specific. I had the special at the restaurant. I took out the brand-new digital camera and took a picture of it. Now, in the past, with a traditional 35mm camera, I would think, "Oh, it's not worth wasting a shot! I only have 7 exposures left! I have no extra rolls of film on me! Why the hell would I want to take a picture of a bowl of soup, anyway?" But with a digital camera, there is no debate. I don't have to think about whether it's actually worth taking a picture of it or not. Just point and click. These questions are no longer issues.

What almost frightens me, though, is, with digital photography, there is no permanence. With my old 35mm camera, I'd have a print of this bowl of soup cluttering up my closet forever. But, with a digital camera, all I have to do is look at it and say, "That was stupid," and hit delete. Pictures can now be erased from existence with nary a thought. Just point and click.

That kind of makes me sad.

No comments: