Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Late Targ...But I Have a Good Reason!

Sorry, guys, but this week's episode of The Targ is going to be a day late, but I have a good reason why!

I just came home from a classic double feature day...something I don't do as often anymore, now that they don't do half-price matiness anymore.

First one I saw was TMNT. That's right, I was there opening weekend for the brand-new Ninja Turtles movie.

It was good. Ever since the first teaser, I've been waiting for it, going, "DUDE! The Turtles were made for CGI!" While the animation quality isn't Pixar-perfect, it is pretty damn good.

At first, I was upset that the Shredder wouldn't be back, but now, after the film, I glad he wasn't. They kind of went the Batman Begins route. By using a second-string villain for the film (or, in this case, creating one), they were able to focus on the heroes and their struggles. Well, they mainly focused on Leonardo and Raphael and their rivalry.

The action was good, the animation was good, and the characters we all know and love were on the big screen intact.

A few complaints...a few superhero movie cliches do rear their ugly heads, and why the hell did composer Klaus Badelt recycle his Catwoman score?

3 out of 4 nibs.

And then, I went to see that movie everyone's talking about, 300. Oh, that Frank Miller. What a wacky guy! He sure believes in excess and over-the-top behaviour. Don't worry...I mean that in a good way.

But yeah. Don't let the setting in ancient Greece fool you. This is a movie about Klingons. The glory of battle, the honor of death at the hands of your enemies...all that good stuff.

It was pretty good. I enjoyed it. But yeah, the historical epic is one form of geek film that I've never really geeked out. Granted, calling it a "historical epic" is a stretch.

I liked it, but I wasn't as passionate about it that the rest of the world is.

3 out of 4 nibs.

No comments: