Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, June 04, 2007

More on Augustana's New Library

Well, after yesterday's post about my old alma matter of Augustana University College (now the U of A: Augustana Campus) getting its new library, I had to e-mail the dean and get more information.

Well, he's the dean now. Back in the day, he was my PoliSci 210 prof.

Anyway, he told me that the groundbreaking ceremony was almost 5 weeks ago, and that they've almost got the basement dug. That big funding announcement was for "Phase II," and that'll begin construction hopefully in the summer or fall of next year. He tells me that he can see the construction from his office, and he hopes to see those orange construction fences for quite some time.

For those of you who aren't Augustana alumni, let me explain the significance of the new library. When I was a student there in the late 1990s, there was a sign on campus saying, "Future Site of the New Library." And that sign was there for sooooooooooooooo long that, well, to be blunt, it became a joke. It became one of those things that would never happen, like the seas boiling dry, or Carla Roberts going out with me.

but yet, there it is now. finally being built. And, not where the sign stood for all those years.

No comments: