Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Animated Film Catch-Up On Hold

There was once I time when I would run out to see the latest animated film as soon as it hit theatres. But now, with a new animated film churned out every month, and just about all of them about talking animals making fart jokes, I fail to see the point anymore. Now, about every year and a half or so, I do an "animated movie catch-up," where I just go out and rent the ones that got better-than-average reviews, and watch them all in one marathon sitting.

That was my plan for this weekend. But when I finally got around to heading up to Athabasca's video rental store to rent them today, most of the ones I wanted were out. Oh, Athabasca. Only two video rental stores...and only one of them rents DVDs.

Anywho, I guess it's good that the ones I wanted were out. I also want to stick Shrek the Third on that list, and it doesn't come out until the 13th. I know, I've already derided Shrek the Third pretty heavily...I just want to slow down for the train wreck.

In case you're curious, these are the animated films that I think are finally worth my time.

Happy Feet - Last year's winner of the Best Animated Film Oscar. I want to see if it truly is Oscar worthy. The reviews were surprisingly good.

Meet the Robinsons - Disney's animated epic, which was released back in the spring. As you may know, when Disney and Pixar merged, a lot of the Pixar management actually became managers in the Disney animation department. They said that they were going to start running Disney more like Pixar. Meet the Robinsons is the first film made under this Pixar management regime. I want to see if its "Pixar-ish."

Surf's Up - So, Sony Studios thought they wanted to get in on this animated movie biz, and formed their own computer animation studio called, simply, Sony Animation. Surf's Up is Sony Animation's second film (the first one was Open Season) and everyone says that Surf's Up is the better of the two. I just want to see what the new kids on the block are up to.

Over the Hedge - DreamWorks big animated blockbuster from last year. Got above average reviews for DreamWorks.

No comments: