Just forget the words and sing along

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Night at Which Museum?

I've got a couple of days off coming to me, and there are two places that I want to check out. I haven't been to either one in a while, so I'm seeking some input.

On the one hand, we've got the Royal Alberta Museum. Last time I was there, it was still the Provincial Museum of Alberta. Granted, museums don't change that much, and looking at the website, they don't really have any really interesting rotating displays this month. But still, it'd be nice to check it out before they get to those renovations. IF they ever get to those renovations. Stupid government cutting funding...grumble grumble.

On the other hand, we've got the Telus World of Science - Edmonton. That one I haven't been to since it was called the Edmonton Space and Science Centre. That's right, I missed the Odyssium period. Last time I was there was 11 years ago. I remember seeing this IMAX documentary called Special Effects, all about making special effects. It's big selling point was that this documentary came out shortly before Star Wars: Special Edition, so a big focus of the film is doing the FX for the special editions. They even hauled the old models out of storage and re-created the opening shot of Star Wars for IMAX.

Ya gotta remember...this was 1997. They weren't showing regular movies in IMAX yet, so seeing a scene from Star Wars in IMAX was a really, really big deal. No pun intended.

That, and R2-D2 and C-3P0 have an amusing cameo at the end.

So, on the one hand, we have a royal museum that I haven't been to in a while, and probably has more interesting stuff for me to photograph with my digital camera.

On the other hand, we've got a science centre that I haven't been to in a REALLY LONG while with IMAX movies.

That's why I'm throwing it out there to you! If you've got an opinion to help me decide, let me know in the comments down below, or send me note with your thoughts.

No comments: