Just forget the words and sing along

Sunday, July 13, 2008

See a Toonie, Pick It Up....

I've been wanting to write this since Wednesday, but I don't why I haven't sat down yet to do it.

Wednesday was a very good day for me.

I had a hunch that it would be a good day as I was leaving the bank, I looked down on the sidewalk, and spied a nice, shiny new toonie looking up at me. I've been lucky enough to find pennies on the sidewalk, nickles, and the occasional quarter. But never $2!

I had the day off from work on Wednesday as I was off to the dentist to get a check-up and my teeth cleaned. My luck was definitely with me. The dentist, the hygienist, and the various assistants were all stunned that, even though it was three years since my last cleaning and five years since my last check-up, there were no cavities. Maybe it was that toonie on the sidewalk. Maybe it was my pocketful of good luck charms that I had with me to ward off any evil spirits the dentist might uncover. Or, maybe it was the obsessive-compulsive oral hygiene routine I adopted after that last check-up five years ago when they told me I had five cavities.

From there, it was off to the city. Yup, I had my appointment in the morning, and took the whole day off work. I had several things I wanted to take care of. First up, you may remember a few weeks ago I blogged about how I bought a POS hub for my new computer that blew out my MP3 player. So, with a pocketful of birthday money, I was going to get my new MP3 player.

Might I say, I love this new MP3 player. 4G -- twice as big as my old one. Full colour display, so it can also display pictures and play videos. I've put 800 songs on it so far...not a lot of pictures yet, just the ones that I want to have with me at all times, such as my infamous train photo and the day I met my hero. I'm still having lots of fun with it.

Then, it was off to get a wedding present for my sister. I'd say more, but she reads this, and I don't want to give it away.

And then it was time for my most dangerous part of the day. I ventured right into downtown Edmonton.

I've blogged it before, and I'll blog it again. I've lost all fear of downtown Edmonton. I used to think Edmonton was big and scary, then I went to Vancouver. I used to think Vancouver was big and scary, then I went to Tokyo. No reason to fear downtown Edmonton anymore.

I parked the car, and then walked on over to the Winspear Centre box office.

It was brought to my attention that a certain favourite artist of mine would be soon playing at the Winspear, and after a lot of soul searching and discussions with friends and family about fiscal responsibility, I decided to go for it.

On Saturday, August 2, I'll once again be seeing my hero in concert.

That's right, I'll be front row centre at "Weird Al" Yankovic.

Of course, when the clerk asked me, "How many tickets?" I was at a loss. I was once again reminded of how empty my life is and how I seem to not have a life outside of work. So, rather than humiliate myself by trying to dig up a friend between now and then, I decided to just get one ticket. But, again, that was a sign of good fortune, as there was one ticket left right down on the floor in front of the stage.

I'm going to see Weird Al again. Weird Al has already said on his blog that this the exact same show as last year, so there'll be nothing new. But then, as my best friend pointed out, I'm the biggest Weird Al fan that most people know, so it's a crime that I've only seen him live just once. Besides, last year was outdoors at the Capital Ex. This time, it'll be in Edmonton's Winspear Centre...considered to be one of the most acoustically-perfect concert halls in Canada.

All in all, Wednesday was a nice oasis in the craziness that my life currently is. I'm counting down the days until the end of July, because come August 1, I will suddenly be very un-busy.

No comments: