Just forget the words and sing along

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tomb Raider Returns?


Just saw a bit of movie news this morning that caught my eye.

Warner Brothers has just picked up the movie rights to the Tomb Raider franchise, and is planning a reboot of the feature film franchise.

The history: Paramount had the movie rights, pumped out two movies, and then, faced with the diminishing returns, let the movies lapse.

I remember the first film being the one summer blockbuster that I was most anticipating as summer 2001 rolled around, and I remember the film being rather mediocre. And then I saw the sequel two years later and that one made me want to gouge my eyes out.

Although, it is funny. You never know who pops up in these films. I saw a bit of the first one of Peachtree TV the other day, and I forgot that Lara Croft's rival is played by a "before-he-was-Bond" Daniel Craig. The next day, the second one was on, and Lara Croft's partner/love interest was King Leonidas himself, Gerard Butler.

No word yet on writer, directors, stars, or a release date. One thing's for sure: Angelina Jolie is not expected to return to the role of Lara Croft. Apparently, Warner Brothers thinks that, now that Jolie is a multiple Oscar nominee, she's out of their league.

No comments: