Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Coraline off the cuff

Just got home from Coraline. Coraline was an odd bird for me...I've been tracing its development online since it was first announced 6 years ago. In that six years, I read the book a couple times. It was a good book.

And, it is a good movie. I always like it when my animated films throw something unexpected at me. In my favourite film, The Iron Giant, it's when our hero has to unzip his pants to let out a squirrel. In Ratatouille, it's when we get a quick glimpse of two lovers pointing guns at each, a shot goes off, they throw the guns aside, and being passionately kissing itself.

And in Coraline...it's naked, morbidly obese burlesque dancers.

It is a great film, if a tad predictable, but I chalk that up to having read the book a couple times.

And the soundtrack...my God. That's music that's going to haunt me for a while.

Fantastic film, check it out, I keep reading that it's better in 3D. I saw it in 2D myself, but if you have 3D theatre in your neighbourhood, 3D might be the way to go.

As always, a complete review at the main site in the next couple of days or so.

Hmmm...I never got around to writing that complete review of The Spirit, and that might be a good thing.

No comments: