Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Free Movies!

Nothing like going to see a movie, and then getting a free movie out of the deal!

So I head into the city today to finally see Alice in Wonderland, cuz I'm a big Tim Burton fanboy and all that. I get to the theatre, I'm all nestled in my seat, I'm enjoying the coming attractions, and then I see the Warner Brothers logo. "That's weird. I thought Alice in Wonderland was Disney," I think to myself.

And then the opening credits to Cop Out start to roll.

The first thought that goes through my mind, "Aw, crap, I'm in the wrong theatre." I mean, in all these multiplexes with three dozen screens and all that, it was bound to happen eventually, right? I get all turned around and walk into the wrong theatre. So, fearing that I might miss the beginning of Alice in Wonderland, I grab my coat and bolt for the door.

I get out of the theatre, I look at the sign above the theatre, and I see that I wandered into the theatre that was showing...Alice in Wonderland. What's going on here?

Some kids who bolted out ahead of me were talking to the usher, and they came to the proper conclusion before I did. "Hey, mister," they said to the usher. "Alice in Wonderland isn't playing in that theatre, Cop Out is!"

By now, people are coming out of the theatre in droves. The usher waved over the manager, the manager saw the situation for herself, got on her walkie-talkie and asked the projectionist what the heck was going on. At this point, with the proper authority figures on the scene, I returned to my seat. The manager relayed the situation to the crowd. "Sorry, folks, we showed Cop Out in this theatre last night and we forgot to change the film in the projector. Alice in Wonderland will be staring in 15 minutes. You'll all get a pass for a free movie at the end of the show. Thank you for your patience."

Sure enough, Alice in Wonderland started in 15 minutes, and at the end, I got a coupon for a free movie! So, yay, for that projectionist being asleep at the switch!

As for the movie...meh. They took all the familiar Alice in Wonderland characters and made them fill roles in your familiar fantasy epic kind of plot. It was all so...familiar. It felt like Tim Burton did it for the paycheck.

Full review on the website tomorrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sir is good times, very good times.