Just forget the words and sing along

Monday, July 12, 2010

DVD Review -- G.I. Joe: Resolute

Well, I've always enjoyed reviewing the straight-to-DVD movies I pick up right here on my blog.  I finally got my hands on one I've been keeping my eyes open for, and I just finished watching it.  So, it's time for my thoughts on....

G.I. Joe: Resolute


Directed by Joaquim Dos Santos

Starring the voices of Charles Adler, Steve Blum, Grey DeLisle, and Eric Bauza.

Backstory:  Last year, Hasbro decided to launch an all-new G.I. Joe cartoon to tie in with the new live-action movies.  But, to produce it, they decided to follow the model of the original Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon:  episodes would be just 5 minutes long, telling an over-reaching story arc, and the episodes would be shown on the Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.  Comic book legend Warren Ellis was hired to write it.  It premiered on Adult Swim in the spring of 2009, and was edited together into a DTV movie and released just in time for Christmas last year.  Yesterday, I finally found a copy!


Plot:  In their most coordinated strike ever, COBRA cripples G.I. Joe HQ, takes command of several instillations all around the world, and destroys Moscow in a show of their might.  Cobra Commander issues his ultimatum:  turn control of the entire world over to him in 24 hours, or he'll use his new weapon to start wiping countries off the face of the Earth.  G.I. Joe has 24 hours to unlock the secrets of COBRA's new WMD, free the instillations that our powering it, and apprehend Cobra Commander...with extreme prejudice.

What I Liked:  There is blood.  This is real war.  Joes are killed, Cobra Vipers are mercilessly gunned down, and Cobra Commander kills all who oppose him.  The stakes are high, and it moves along at a rather quick pace.

What I Didn't Like:  The character development does take a back seat to the action, so we really don't get to know these new incarnations of the Joes.  And with such a small voice cast, there is some overlap in the voices and the characters, which does get a tad annoying. 

Final Verdict:  A wonderful continuation of the original, 5-part mini-series that launched the original cartoons, if only it being for more grown-up tastes. 

3 Nibs

Bonus Features:  For DVD bonus features, you get a Q&A with the film's creators, the file cards for the Joes in the film, the teaser episode "Now You Know," and storyboards for the production.

No comments: