Just forget the words and sing along

Friday, March 25, 2011

Life's Little Disappointments

So, for a Friday night movie, I thought I'd fire up The Spy Who Loved Me...generally regarded to be Roger Moore's finest hour as James Bond.

But my DVD wouldn't play in my player.  Any of my players.  I'd never run into this problem before, and couldn't figure out why.  The only thing I could think of was that old problem known as disc rot.

So it seems I'm in need of a new The Spy Who Loved Me DVD...and, wouldn't you know it, it's currently out of print.  Looks like I've got to wait for the new James Bond movie to be released before it gets reissued.

So I find myself online, catching up on movie trailers.  And sadly, I find myself coming face-to-face with several of my expected disappointments for 2011.

First up, as you know, I'm a huge Pixar fanboy, and always look forward to their latest films.  However, I'm just sighing and shrugging my shoulders at the latest trailer for Pixar's offering in 2011, Cars 2.

It's been widely reported why Cars -- generally considered Pixar's lesser effort -- is getting a sequel.  It's because, in terms of merchandise sales, it's Pixar's #1 film.  And while a Pixar trailer generally leaves me tingling in anticipation...there's just nothing here giving me a tingle.








Another movie that I've been mildly looking forward to, is the live-action movie version of The Smurfs.  When I was a kid, The Smurfs was what always kicked off Saturday morning.  And I still maintain that, if a Smurfs movie were completely animated and they stuck to its medieval setting, it would be a pretty good adventures film.

But it's a live-action affair, with the Smurfs being thrust into the real world.  It looks to be on the same level of the live-action Alvin and the Chipmunk movies.  I still think that Hank Azaria as Gargamel is inspired casting, though.







Apparently that Scottish smurf is Hefty.  Why did they make Hefty Scottish?  That seems like such a random choice to make.

So, yeah.  Nothing but disappointment on this here Friday night.

No comments: