Just forget the words and sing along

Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, DeForest Kelley!

As Facebook now allows for longer and longer status updates, I find the silly little blog entries I used to do are getting passed over for just simply posting it straight to social networking sites.

But, since I still want to keep this blog running, maybe I should post this stuff to the blog and then just share the links on all the social networking sites.  Oh, Internet, why are you so big and complicated?


Anyway, the simple little entry I want to say today is happy birthday to DeForest Kelley, still best remembered as Dr. Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy on the original Star Trek.  Kelley passed away in 1999, but were he still with us, he'd be 92 today.

I'm sure lots of folks will be rolling out "He's dead, Jim" and "I'm a doctor, not a ______" montages in tribute today, so instead, I wanted to put out there one of my favourite quotes from Bones:

"In this galaxy, there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that and perhaps more, only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."

Although, for your own inspirational purposes, I'd suggest replacing Capt. Kirk's name with your name.

And, thanks to YouTube, here's one of my favourite McCoy moments.  It's McCoy's return to Enterprise from Star Trek: The Motion Picture.  Once you get past the pure 70s cheese of what McCoy is wearing, it's just a great little character moment.




No comments: