Just forget the words and sing along

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Thank You

The first thing they tell you at NAIT is that the money in radio isn't very good.  "You'll never get rich in radio," they said.  "The only way you'll ever make any money is if you work in sales, and if that's your goal, you're better off switching your major from broadcasting to marketing."  It's a reality I've faced for the past few years.  I'm constantly fretting about my finances.

Back in the fall, the fretting got so bad that I finally took a second job.  I enjoyed it, even though it ate up a lot of my spare time, and with summer on the horizon, things are about to get very busy at the radio station.  I knew it would be a matter of time before my second job started eating into the time for my first job.  So, two weeks ago, I gave my notice at the grocery store.

I worked my last shift at the grocery store last night.  As I was filling up a bucket with soap and water so I could get to work scrubbing the slime out of the lettuce cooler, my second boss turned to me and said, "I really hoped you'd choose us over the radio station.  Why are you going to work in radio?"

I put the bucket down and looked at her.  "Because being on the radio is all I ever wanted to do since I was 10 years old."

"Say no more," she said.

I know that I fret too much about the money.  I know that some times, I let an angry caller get under my skin.  I know that, some days, my colleagues get on my nerves.

But when all is said and done, I can't imagine myself doing anything else.

So if I haven't said it before, let me say it now.

To those who happen to listen to me everyday

To those I work with every day to help me be my best

To those who propped me up when I was pounding the pavement looking for that first gig

To those who talked me out of dropping out of NAIT when days were at their darkest

To those who humoured my requests to stop in at CLCR whenever I visited Augustana

To those who listened to me at Augustana who started convincing me I might be able to make a living at this

To those who humoured a 10-year old who was playing with a tape recorder in his room.

Thank you.  Thank you for your love, kindness, and support in this crazy career I've chosen.

And I'll probably be hitting you up for money real soon.





No comments: