Just forget the words and sing along

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Doctor Who: Series 7 Trailer

A friend of mine once called me a fan of Doctor Who from the beginning.  I'm not so sure that can be said, because the show started 14 years before I was born.  For folks of my generation, I think you can call yourself "a fan of Doctor Who from the beginning" if you started watching it in reruns on YTV around 1991 or so.  Yeah...I remember in the early-1990s, YTV started showing reruns of Doctor Who with a lot of hype.  I was into it back then.  I'd always catch the last 5 minutes or so because it was on right before Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I remember watching the First Doctor stuff...it was always at the end, he'd be in the TARDIS control room, delivering the moral of the story, and I'd think, "This is it?  The famous Doctor Who?  Just some old guy in a room speechifying?  Shut up and get to Ninja Turtles!" 

As I blogged before, the first time I opened my heart and gave it a chance was 1996 American-made TV movie, and I loved it.  YTV had stopped showing it by then, so I'd have to wait 9 years before the revival began.

I tuned in to catch the revival, the Ninth Doctor stuff, and I was hooked...well, from about halfway through the first series.

And now we're getting ready for Series 7 of this revival.  If you haven't heard yet, they decided to split the series in half again.  They're going to show the first 5 episodes this fall, take a break for the annual Christmas special, and then show the remaining 8 in the spring.

I've been reading some of the borderline-spoiler info that's going around online, and then, a few days ago, this promo image was released online.



OH...MY...GOD.  That just looks so awesome!

So what do we know so far?
  • The premiere episode is going to be called Asylum of the Daleks.  The second one is going to be called Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.  The third one's going to be called A Town Called Mercy.
  • Celebrity guest stars!  Ben Browder, star of Stargate SG-1 and Farscape, shows up in an episode.  David Warner, who's done so freakin' much, is going to be in an episode.  And the original Emma Peel herself, Dame Diana Rigg, pops up.
  • They filmed in the USA again!  They did some location filming in New York City.
But of course, the sad news, as has been known for some time now, is that this'll be the final  series for Amy Pond and Rory Williams.  The first 5 episodes will be the farewell arc for Amy and Rory, and the Doctor's new companion will be introduced in the Christmas special.  The new companion will be played by Jenna-Louise Coleman.  We don't know here character's name yet, but rumour is it's Clara.

No word yet on the premiere date...the BBC likes to keep that pretty close to the vest.  But rumour is it'll be at the end of August.


No comments: