Just forget the words and sing along

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Chocolate Lady Was a Soldier

I've tweeted this tale, I've shared it on Facebook, and I told it on the air, so it's time to blog it for posterity.

In case you haven't heard, the federal government is spending $28 million to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.  You probably saw the TV commercials, because they were running non-stop during the Olympics.




If you haven't been to the movies in a while, this spot is also being shown in theatres as part of the pre-show.  I was catching a movie about a month ago, when this spot started playing on the big screen.  When Laura Secord made her appearance (at about 0:25 in the spot), I heard the guy behind me turn to his buddy and say....

"So...the chocolate lady was a soldier?"

Oh, God.  I had to bite my tongue to stifle my laughter.  Did he not pay attention in Social?  Did he not even see the heritage moment they made about her?

That still makes me laugh every time I think about.  "The chocolate lady was a soldier."  Sounds like the tagline for a blaxploitation film. 

No comments: