Just forget the words and sing along

Friday, April 19, 2013

The Final Trailer for the Lone Ranger

Armie Hammer, still best remembered as the Winkelvos Twins in the Social Network, is the Lone Ranger.

Well, this  has been a great week for final trailers!  We got the final trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness, the final trailer for Man of Steel, and back on Wednesday, Disney rolled out the final trailer for The Lone Ranger.

I'm kind of looking forward to this one, too.  As I've previously blogged, some of my earliest conscious memories of television are of watching reruns of The Lone Ranger.  As such, I've always had a soft spot for the character.  There's such a great history of western heroes, too.  It's nice to see them get some manner of big screen respect.

I'm assuming Disney is hoping to launch another franchise out of this, especially how they're playing up that this is from most of the same creative team that gave us the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.  They've got to be careful, though.  Last time they hoped to launch a new franchise courtesy of the makers of PotC it turned out to be Prince of Persia.  Haven't seen it yet, but still, they say it was not so good.

I haven't been a big fan of some of the other trailers we've gotten so far.  They're making it look so dark and gritty.  I don't want a dark and gritty Lone Ranger.  I want a good guy in a white hat, out busting the outlaws wearing black hats.  Something nice and simple.  But this trailer...this is looking, well, still not like the traditional Lone Ranger, but I'm more on board now.

Besides, I love trains, and I enjoyed the heck out of all that train chase action in this trailer.  Still not so sure about Johnny Depp as Tonto, though.  I mean, one of the most prominent Native American characters in pop culture, and you don't get a Native American to play him?  I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more outrage.

Anyway, here's the final trailer.  I like it.




The Lone Ranger hits theatres on July 3. 

Helena-Bonham Carter as Red, a saloon owner who helps our heroes.  How can this film have both Johnny Depp AND Helena-Bonham Carter and not be directed by Tim Burton?

Johnny Depp as Tonto.    Still wondering what that bird on his head is all about.

No comments: